What is a LifeStraw® ?
LifeStraw Personal is a portable water purifier for prevention of common diarrhoeal disease. It can be carried around for easy access to safe and clean drinking water. It is just 25 cm long and 29 mm in diameter and can be hung around the neck. LifeStraw requires no electrical power or spare parts.
LifeStraw Family is a point-of-use instant microbiological purifier that allows people to create their own homemade drinking water. It gives them access to safe and clean drinking water, by allowing them to have a stable and reliable source of water for home consumption. This will filter up to 18,000 litres of water enough to supply a family of five with safe drinking water for three years
Is a point-of-use water treatment system intended for routine use in low-income settings Filters up to 18,000 litres* of water, enough to supply a family of five with microbiologically clean drinking water for three years, thus removing the need for repeat intervention Ensures high flow rate and high volume of purified water
- Complies with US Environmental Protection Agency 1987 Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers:
- Removes minimum 99.9999% of bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)*
- Removes minimum 99.99% of viruses (>LOG 4 reduction)*
- Removes minimum 99.9% of protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)*
- Removes turbidity
- Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
- Requires no running water or piped-in water supply
- Has an easy-to-clean prefilter and purification cartridge
- All raw materials are US Food and Drug Administration compliant or equivalent
*Clasen, T. et al. 2009. Laboratory assessment of a gravity-fed ultrafiltration water treatment device designed for household use in low-income settings. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 80(5), 2009, pp. 819–823